How do you define a painting in its best form? Simple, get the segments splashed in fine-textured oil paints. Besides, need no explanation but oil painting is particularly the ones that have their pigments done in drying oil, that serves as the binder. While there are several drying oils, the common ones include linseed, poppy seed, walnut, and safflower oil. While the choice of oil for the painting is the next step of the process, are we all accustomed to the various oil painting ideas for beginners? Let’s say the choice of a paintbrush, canvas, palette, or knives? How to pick the right one that would suit the painting, enhance it, making it look the best?
For that, you need to stay calm, sit back, and read the sections below. We have some of the best oil painting tips for the novice, followed by quite a few oil paintings for references.
Table Of Contents
8 Essential Oil Painting Tips for Beginners
Painting is not as an easy job as it seems. The thought is especially true for the beginners who need to keep all things at a bay while grabbing the paintbrushes and putting on the imagination cap. With that in mind, let’s begin with the tips.
- Begin With The Smaller Paintings: The initial step doesn’t speak of painting ‘the starry night’. Instead, begin with the smaller paintings that give you the chance to experiment with techniques and color without spending much time on the materials or process.
- Be Organized: Start with the idea of organizing in a well-placed area that is ventilated. Keep your palettes and brushes handy to reach out whenever you need them. This would make the process easier as you would develop a tendency to practice every day, thus perfecting your art form.
- Grab A Few Professional Brushes: Even if there are thousands of brushes available in the market, grab your hands on the pair that have professional grades. As you start delving deep into the arena, start experimenting with the shapes, sizes, and materials of the brushes. Usually, synthetic brushes are preferred for oil paintings.
- Always Apply The Primer: Irrespective of your choice of the surface, never forget to apply the coat of primer called gesso to the painting surface. This primer restrains the oil from seeping into the surface, shields the surface from the acids found in the paint, and ensures a surface that the paint would adhere rapidly.
- Color Mixing Is An Essential: The mixing of primary and secondary colors to get a new shade is essential as the syncing of colors is a primary virtue while we start with the painting.
- Begin With An Oil Sketching: Oil sketching deals with color and turpentine. So, it’s a good idea to initiate oil sketching as they dry out well at a rapid pace. Post that, add layers of color that you think would look best, without waiting too long for it to dry.
- Place The Paints In The Correct Order: There’s a certain order of how you place the paints. Like the thick over the thin ones, and the slow drying ones over the ones that take a little longer to dry. That refers to using thinner paint and less oil in the first layers while reserving the thicker paint, and deeper oil content for the layers below. This process ensures the previous layers dry first and prevents the painting from cracking.
- Proper Cleaning Of The Paintbrushes: Oil paints can be dangerous if absorbed inside the skin. So, keep your pets and the little ones away as much as possible. Once done with the art, make sure that the paints used, mediums, paper towels, paper palettes, and the other things used are disposed of well.
That was quite a lesson learned. Now, let’s jump directly into the oil paintings.
Beautiful Oil Paintings For Beginners
A popular thought prevails that an abstract artist needs to be a true poet by heart, to get the painting done right. Artists deeply involved with abstract art, have to walk past the thoughts of literal perception to reach the helm of unconsciousness. That also includes avoiding every possible preconception from the viewer’s end. This means that abstract paintings require the viewer’s active participation, minus the thoughts and preconceptions. Once the mind is free, you can experience and enjoy the energy and power within an abstract oil painting.
Seeking a customized name from the list of oil painting ideas for beginners? Try your hands on the landscape oil painting. First, decide your favorite landscape, or a photograph (I prefer the mountains). Start by drawing a grid all over the canvas and the photograph. Then sketch the subject, draw the background, and then complete your entire masterpiece. Have a proper check to scrutinize whether you have left out any part. Once, done with all, sit back, and admire your newly created masterpiece.
Portrait Oil Painting
A portrait splashed with oil painting is a treat to watch for the eyes. Start with a magnetic image that looks good. Then sketch the entire outline, making the edges sharp and bold. Next, paint the eyes well, and darken the areas which you think got needs to be highlighted. Add the other colors, while placing the lighter hues on the top. Add the finesse touch, the ending highlights, and the other touches which you feel are lacking from the portrait. That was easy, what say?
Clouds Oil Painting
I might not wander as lonely as a cloud, but we can create the clouds that look mesmerizingly beautiful in an oil painting. Clouds are a hit for landscape painting, so first try to outline the shapes. This is one of the finest oil painting ideas for beginners where the texture of light and shadow play equal parts. After done with the clouds, paint the background, as it takes time to paint the sky blue, and with much ease. After done with all, feel good about the piece of art that just got created.
The flower paintings look aesthetically beautiful when done in acrylic paint. All you need to know is to choose your colors well, and then draw the flower’s shape accurately to get it done. Of course, you can’t as well ignore the background. Besides, if you select the roses to draw, they look awesome holding the religious value of Mary’s purity. The bunch of roses symbolizes the collective conscience of the belief of all the Christians towards their faith. Just place the layers well while drawing a flower.
Horse Oil Painting
You can nail a horse oil painting, only if you know can grab a reference and sketch it well. That’s almost like half the battle won for this variation from the list of oil painting ideas for beginners. Of course, you need to pick a strongly built horse to get the painting done. Once done with the sketching, get the colors right, and start with coloring the base. When done with shading and highlighting, contour the features, create the background, and sharpen the horse’s face.
Still Life Oil Painting
Artists perceive the still life painting to be an easy one as an artist has a full grip over his paintings while donning the still life oil painting. All you need is a steady light source, that might come from outside the window, or by creating an artificial light setup. When done with that, you finalize the composition, draw the sketches, and start filling the appropriate colors. Run your imaginations wild, and put your best foot forward for an oil painting of still life.
Sunset Oil Painting
Play with as many colors as you want while drawing a sunset. Depending on the hues of sunset, grab your hand on the dashes of hues like yellow, orange, golden yellow, a mixture of red and yellow, while the dense shades like blue, purple, for creating the shadows. Sunsets are quite a rage when it comes to depicting it on the surface. Start with the background, and think of conglomerating all the colors to create a magical effect for this one in the list of oil painting ideas for beginners. You can add a boat by the shore to make the picture mesmerizingly beautiful.
Mountain Oil Painting
Mountains represent a sort of mysterious haze that gets shrouded around the massive structure. Their immense strength and stern but calm appearance make it an artist’s favorite. Sketch it in full white or add hues of golden, the effect of the deep haze remains the same. Besides, a mountain coupled with scenery is a very common go-to-picture for the novice to draw. Perhaps, you can try this one and go on practicing for improving your painting skills. That was a cool idea, right?
Tree Oil Painting
Here’s time to think out of the box. This name making its place in the list of oil painting ideas for beginners is a break from the stereotypes where we don’t paint the trees only with green and brown. Instead, we won’t mind turning the leaves burgundy, orange, or blue. Thinking hard on that? Wait, there’s more for your food for thought. We can also think of the colors to get placed in the background. That’s not difficult, as you just have to mix the colors well in your palette before getting them placed in the background.
Sunflower Oil Painting
Why do we love to see sunflower paintings? Simple, because they are massive, are brightly-hued, and looks immensely attractive when enhanced with hues of bright yellow. Did we guess that correctly? I mean, all you need to do is to get the center circle and the petals in appropriate shape. The rest would fall into place automatically. Maybe you can think of a host of flowers or a group of three, instead of one. Place your painting in your bedroom, and get all the positive vibes blooming bright.
Beach Oil Painting
Beaches either produce the holiday vibes or the deep serenity that people long for. So, here you can choose while selecting this name from the list of oil painting ideas for beginners. Either draw a girl standing on the shore, staying calmly at the waves, or people a usual beach holiday scene. Whatever you choose, the painting would turn into a playful mood for the colors, placed at appropriate places. Besides, either a choose a sunset or a sunset, both the attributes look best while gazing at the painting.
Elephant Oil Painting
Elephants are majestic beings, and along with their ivory tusks, the paintings can never fall flat. So, what do we plan next? The entire sketch of the elephant, and most importantly the tusks. A jungle background suits the tone best. However, there can be other options also. Black, grey, brown, and the other darker hues are the usual colors that we would love to choose. To unleash your madness, how about a colorful elephant. Yes, we won’t mind that.
Black and White Oil Painting
The monochromes are my favorite. A colorless picture depicts a lot of unspoken words than the color ones do. On that note, be your creative best with this one. Just make sure to get the base right along with the structure’s sketch. To delve deep, always use an opaque black paint as they give the deepest coverage. Besides, black is semi-transparent that can be strimmer down to get the desired glaze.
Cat Oil Painting
If you are a cat-lover? Here is the one for you. The best part of this painting is the customization. Cats can be of different colors while belonging to different backgrounds. However, never miss out on their green-eyed deep gaze. That’s the main attraction of the drawing, what say?
- Beautiful Small Canvas Painting Ideas
- Cute Watercolor Painting Ideas
- Artistic Abstract Paintings For Beginners
- Simple Oil Glass Painting Designs
That’s how we conclude the list of oil painting ideas for beginners. Paintings are always good to see, and the creation invokes a certain joy that’s hard to find. So, it’s a two-way process where the art, artist, and the audience three of them, are credited for the masterpiece that’s been created. Now, coming back to the oil paintings, they have a real feature that’s hard to find. People get the feel of their everyday life yet it’s a static thing. What more do we need to love the oil paintings? Besides, the larger-than-life attribute of the paintings is another thing we can’t ignore.